Monday, July 13, 2009

Calistoga to Davis, California


The Glory Hole. Photo Credit: http://daviswiki.org/Morning_Glory_Spillway?action=Files&do=view&target=glory_hole_02.jpg

My next race isn't until mid August so time for another travel guide. The family needed to take a trip to Sacramento this last weekend to visit a friend on her birthday. The trip to Sac from Calistoga is about 80 miles by freeway but I realized I could skip the freeway and have a long ride too. By bicycle, you can almost directly go to Sacramento by traveling over mountain roads. Davis is a small college town (UC Davis) located just West of Sacramento. After looking over a map, I decided to ride over the mountain range that separated the Napa Valley (where I live) from the Great Central Valley (where Davis and Sacramento are located.)

The idea came from the Tour of California back in February. The tour racers did the reverse, traveling from Winters (town close to Davis) over the mt. range and down through Calistoga. The route the tour took is a little different from the one I took but longer too. I didn't have the time for a longer route, as my wife and daughter were meeting me in Davis, where I would load up the bicycle and travel the rest of the way to Sacramento. So time constraints made me take a shorter and less challenging route.

My route is still 60 miles of great scenery; from grape vineyards, mountain vistas, a couple of lakes, a cool dam (check out the spillway called the Glory hole), and moderate climbs. The traffic was light as I left at 7:00 am. Temperatures were good too; 50's in the beginning of the ride, to low 80's after 3 plus hours of riding. Check out my ride via MapMyRide:

No comments:

Post a Comment