Saturday, February 7, 2009

Boulevard Road Race – Rain, Hail, Snow…Snow?

(photo from velonews)

Saturday, Feb 7, 2009
One of Southern California's most demanding amateur road race courses is behind me, and what a race it was. A powerful storm system entered California on Friday and stayed around on Saturday to make this a truly epic race. The Cat 4 race went off at 9:31 am, and before it was over we battled standing water, rain, hail and within 15 minutes of our finish – snow. Temperatures were hovering around 36 degrees as we started the 44 mile race (my Garmin says it was 42.11 miles). As I sat eating my after race cheese burger in one of the cafés close to the start, I felt nothing but pity for the groups lining up to start their race in a driving snow storm. For sure, the Pro 1/2 race, Masters 30, and 45 were on the course during the falling snow.

I rolled up to the starting line at 9:25 wearing my San Diego Cyclo-Vets Kit for the first time. As all 61 riders arrived at the starting line, one of them moved over to me and said hi. He noticed my racing kit as he was wearing the same thing. Chad Holcomb had also entered the Cat 4 race, so the Cyclo-Vets had a team of two in the race. I never did see another Cyclo-Vet rider but missed the start of the Masters 45 race so I don’t know if we were the only club members or not. We exchanged the usual pre-race conversation and talked about how challenging the course was going to be – was it. I’ve included the course (see at end of this post)and profile downloaded from my Garmin to mapmyride.com.

The race started with a rolling neutral start for about 100m and off we went to the short climb over Live Oak Springs Road. This leads to a bombing descent down HWY 94. The water covered street tended to focus all of our attention on the descent. This descent covered about 7 miles, starting from mile 2 to mile 9. I certainly did not have any problems staying with the Peloton on the descent. There were no attacks at all, as all riders knew what was coming up in miles 10 through 21.

The race really took off at mile 10 at the right turn onto La Posta Road and an immediate 3 – 6% climb. At around mile 12, and just before a slight reprieve in the climb, the 61 member peloton split and at least 20 riders dropped off the back. I was definitely working hard and glanced at my heart rate monitor and saw 173 bpm! My maximum heart rate is only around 181 bpm and my lactate threshold is 161 bpm, so I knew I was operating at close to red line. The climb continued with a 4% climb up to mile 14 and I was still hanging on by the skin of my teeth as we crested a small hill and had a short descent. I tried to relax as much as possible and saw that my heart rate had dropped back into the high 150s. But this short descent was long on short. As we got to the right turn at the junction with I-80 we were at the bottom of the real climb. My heart rate was soaring again as I struggled to stay at the back of the peloton. To add to my problems, my new chain started skipping badly on my year old cassette. I kept searching for a gear to stop the skipping as it was throwing off my concentration needed for the climb. At mile 16 I cracked…I just couldn’t maintain the pace and began to drop off with about 10 other racers. It’s always a lonely feeling to go OTB, especially when the following motorcycle speeds up and goes around the newly formed chase group. Now it was every man for himself as we struggled up the remaining 5 miles of climbing. Some where around mile 21, I passed the Pro Women 1-3 racers, who had started 10 minutes ahead of our race. At this point, I caught up with racer 210 (I was 231) and racer 245 caught up with both of us.

After the short pitch climb over Live Oak Springs Road we had the bombing descent again down HWY 94. At 180lbs, I’m definitely in my element when descending. I put everything I had into the descent and rider 210 and 245 joined in for a fast 40 mph, 3 man rotating pace line. We kept this up for mile after mile, until I noticed that 245 didn’t come up during his turn in the pace line. I asked if he was okay and he said he was feeling the strain of the high intensity riding we were doing. I said let’s slow down the rotation, so we took turns pulling for 20 seconds allowing the rear riders a little more rest. It worked, at around mile 28 we turned a corner and saw a large group of riders 200 meters ahead…it was our peloton! The three of us felt renewed and within minutes we were back into the race, members of the peloton again. At about mile 30, while I was marveling at how we had rejoined the peloton and thinking how strange it was going to be to go OTB twice in a race, Chad Holcomb showed up beside me. He was back too. He had dropped off before me at mile 12 and said he worked hard with a 6 man group to also regain the peloton. Unfortunately for Chad though, the climbing had started all over again and once again another group went off the back, Chad included. It was at about the exact point that they went off in the first lap. I gritted my teeth and said I’m going to try to stay with the group as we made the turn at the I-80 junction - mile 16 all over again. And the same thing happened; another group of 10 or so, me included went OTB (I love being consistent). And once again, I got to watch the motorcycle go around me. This time, number 245 stayed ahead of me but number 210 dropped quickly behind me. Every man for himself again as I time trialed up the remaining 5 miles of the course. At around mile 39 the rain turned into hail, bouncing off my arms and bike. I thought at least I only had a few more miles to go in the hail before the end of the race, little did I know how lucky I was as the snow would follow the hail minutes after I finished the race.

I crossed the finish line in 2 hours, 6 mins, and 37 seconds. My Garmin showed the race was 42.11 miles long (67.8 km) and that I had climbed 3,928 feet (1197 m), burning 2,982 calories in the process. I had taken 34th place, and later found that Chad Holcomb was not too far behind me, taking 41st place. Rider number 245, who finished ahead of me, thanked me profusely for pulling him back into the race. I congratulated him on his finish and rolled on through the rain to the staging point and warm clothes. All in all I was pleased with my performance. Three years ago and 10 lbs heavier, I completed the same course in 2:25; so I definitely improved – thank you Cyclo-Vets Saturday training riders and the L & 20th group in the Antelope Valley for all the rides that make tough races like this possible for me.

See complete results at Socalcycling.com.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bob, as funny as it sounds I am envious that you got to finish. I hit the cattle guard just wrong at mile 11 and was out of the race with a double flat, along with 2 other guys. I gave one one of them my front wheel and a tube and he fixed it and went onto to finish. I won't be doing the UCLA race but I'll probably see you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Steve, I'm going to respond to via your own blog.

    ReplyDelete